Name: Franz Gustav Buhr
Host Institution: Instituto de Geografia e Ordenamento do Territorio. Universidade de Lisboa.
Profile: Franz Buhr started his academic track as an undergraduate student in international relations attending both the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, and SciencesPo Paris. As an Erasmus Mundus master’s student, he developed a research project on the spatiality of immigrants’ home-making practices at three European universities: University of Amsterdam, University of Deusto (Spain), and University College Dublin. Currently a PhD student at IGOT-ULisboa and Marie Curie researcher within the framework of the INTEGRIM programme, Franz is working under the Work Package 4 – Urban integration, residential patterns and mobility. His research lies at the intersection between migration and urban studies and addresses the problem of integration as a product of the use of the city space.
- BUHR, F. (2015) “Becoming local: migrant spatial integration as a skilled practice“, Integrim online papers, No. 4/2015.
- BUHR, F. G. (2014) “Spatial integration of migrants: a brief overview and critique”, Integrim online papers, No. 1/2014.
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: 14th Annual conference of the International Association for the History of Transport, Traffic and Mobility. TITLE: “A user’s guide to Lisbon: mobility, urban apprenticeship and migrant integration”. DATE AND PLACE: 27-30 October 2016. Mexico City, MX
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Visible and invisible spaces: dealing with multicultural urgencies in the city and the role of planning in the process of social integration of migrants TITLE: “’I know the city better than the Portuguese do’: beyond the visibilities of migrant urban integration in Lisbon.” DATE AND PLACE: 29 September 2016. Université de Poitiers, Poitiers, FR
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: INTEGRIM-Scribani conference: ‘International migration, integration and social justice in Europe’. TITLE: “Navigating Lisbon: urban apprenticeship as migrant integration”. DATE AND PLACE: 6-8 July 2016. University of Deusto, Bilbao, ES
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers (AAG), panel ‘Accessing public space: diverse spaces and practices’. TITLE: “Using the city: migrant spatial integration as urban praxis.” DATE AND PLACE: 29 March 29 – 2 April 2016. San Francisco, US
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Rethinking integration: New perspectives on adaptation and settlement in the era of superdiversity. TITLE: “Becoming local: the skilled work of migrant spatial integration”. DATE AND PLACE: 2 July 2015, University of Birmingham, UK
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: 1st Atelier of the Réseau Migrations entitled ‘De la notion de frontière: croisements transdisciplinaires’. TITLE: “Confinement et mobilité: les migrants dans l’espace urbain”. DATE AND PLACE: 12 November 2014, Université de Poitiers, Poitiers, FR
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Diversity in the city: shifting realities and ways forward. TITLE: “Disincarcerating migrants: confinement and mobilities in urban contexts”. DATE AND PLACE: 27 June 2014, CEG-IGOT-UL, Lisbon, PT
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: INTEGRIM Scientific Thematic Workshop: WP4-“Ethnic residential segregation: new urban mobilities”. TITLE: “Researching migrants spatial integration: for a practical approach”. DATE AND PLACE: 25 June 2014, IGOT-UL, Lisbon, PT
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: ASA14 Association of Social Anthropologists of the UK and Commonwealth Decennial Conference. TITLE: “Leaving ‘home’ behind: methodological nationalism and the limits of the idea of home”. DATE AND PLACE: 21 June 2014, University of Edinburgh, UK
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: INTEGRIM Scientific Thematic Workshop: WP4-“Housing Policies and Social Cohesion”. TITLE: “Migrants’ integration into urban areas: the city as a practiced space”. DATE AND PLACE: 30 September, 2013. IGOT-UL, Lisbon, PT