Name: Bjarney Friðriksdóttir
Host institution: Institute of Human Rights, University of Deusto
Profile: Bjarney is a PhD candidate at the Centre for Migration Law of Radboud University in Nijmegen and is conducting research on European Union law and policy on labour migration from the perspectives of theories and discourses on managed migration and human rights. Bjarney´s fields of expertise and interest are human rights and migration in all its forms, both voluntary and forced. Her work experience includes working as a Senior Adviser on trafficking in human beings for the Council of the Baltic Sea States. She worked with international organisations in the field for several years, as a protection officer with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Syria and as the international manager of United Nations Development Fund for Women Project Office in Kosovo. From 1997-2001 Bjarney was the director of the Icelandic Human Rights Centre and from 2001 – 2003 the director of the Intercultural Centre in Reykjavik. She holds a B.A. degree in Anthropology, an M.A. in International Affairs from the School of International and Public Affairs of Columbia University, New York and an M.A. in Public International Law from the University of Amsterdam Law School.
- FRIÖRIKSDÓTTIR, B. (Forthcoming, Summer 2017), What Happened to Equality? The Construction of the Right to Equal Treatment in European Union Law on Labour Migration. Published by Brill Nijhoff: Leiden – Boston.
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: INTEGRIM-Scribani conference: ‘International migration, integration and social justice in Europe’. TITLE: “Mechanisms of Inclusion and Exclusion in European Union Law on Labour Migration”. DATE AND PLACE: 2016, July 6-8. University of Deusto, Bilbao, ES
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: 21st International Conference of Europeanists. TITLE: “What Role did Human Rights Play in the Negotiations for European Union Law on Labour Migration”. DATE AND PLACE: 8 July 2015. Paris, FR
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: INTEGRIM Annual Conference. TITLE: “The Right to Equal Treatment in European Union Law on Labour Migration”. DATE AND PLACE: 9 December 2014; Central European University (CEU). Budapest, HU
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT : Implementation of the Single Permit Directive hosted by the Centre for Migration Law, Radboud University. TITLE: “Implementation of the Single Permit Directive in Spain”. DATE AND PLACE: December 7, 2014. Nijmgen, NL
- “What Happened to Equality? The Construction of the Right to Equal Treatment in European Union Law on Labour Migration”. Awarded a Doctorate Degree in Law. Presented on November 21, 2016 at Radboud University, Nijmegen, NL
Other scientific activities:
- ROLE: Lecturer, Summer School on Citizenship and Migration: Europe´s 21st Century Challenges. TITLE: Migrants and Work. DATE AND PLACE: 2016, August 8-12; Radboud University. Nijmegen, NL