Name: Sahizer Samuk
Host Institution: Sussex Centre for Migration Research, University of Sussex
Profile: Şahizer Samuk is a third year PhD student at IMT Institute for Advanced Studies, Lucca, Italy. Currently, (starting in September 26, 2014) she is working on her PhD thesis at the University of Sussex in the framework of INTEGRIM Initial Training Network as a Marie Curie Early Stage Researcher, being supervised by Dr Michael Collyer and Prof. Paul Statham. Her thesis is on the temporary migration policies of the UK and Canada and temporary integration from a comparative perspective. Sahizer Samuk had graduated from Bogazici University, earning her Bachelor degree in Political Science and International Relations in 2006. She worked as a reporter in a documentary named “Breaking Point” on TRT and traveled to Tanzania, Uganda and Lebanon in a period of three months in 2006 and 2007. Later, she started to work with Prof. Ahmet Icduygu and wrote her thesis on “Foreigners and International Migration: The Case of Turkey in the Post-1980s”. After graduating from Koc University, having the MA degree in International Relations, she started to work at International Organization for Migration in a project on Anti-Trafficking in Persons. After one year of work, she made a second master at Luiss Guido Carli University in the area of European Studies. She wrote her thesis on “EU-Turkey Relations in the Light of Migration Policies” being supervised by Prof. Jean Louis De Brouwer.
- SAMUK, S. & HOFFMANN, S (2016) Working Paper “Turkish Immigration Politics and Syrian Refugee Crisis” at Division Global Issues Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik German Institute for International and Security Affairs.
- LÓPEZ-SALA, A. N. A., MOLINERO, Y., JOLIVET, M., EREMENKO, T., BEAUCHEMIN, C., SAMUK, S., & CONSTERDINE, E. (2016). “Seasonal Immigrant Workers and Programs in UK, France, Spain and Italy”. Proyecto Temper.
- SAMUK, S. (2015) Working Paper “Temporary Integration and Temporary Migration: Comparing the Cases of Canada and the UK”, INTEGRIM Online Papers, No. 11/2015.
- SAMUK, S. & CONSTERDINE, E. (2015). “Closing the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme: A Triple Loss”, SCMR Working Papers, No: 83.
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Final Integrim Conference. TITLE: ‘Temporary Protection and Harmonization: The Case of Syrians in Turkey’ DATE AND PLACE: 7 July 2016, University of Deusto, Bilbao, ES
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: White Rose Migration Research Postgraduate Network, First Postgraduate Workshop on Migration TITLE: “Temporary Integration: Canada and the UK in a Comparative Perspective” in Reframing the Migration Debate” DATE AND PLACE: 11 June 2015. University of Sheffield, UK
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: INTEGRIM Scientific Thematic Workshop (WP1) TITLE: “Migrant Workers in the UK: Irish vs. Eastern Europeans from a Historical Perspective” DATE AND PLACE: 8-9 June 2015, Bilbao, ES
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Integrim Second Annual Conference TITLE: “Temporary Migration and Temporary Integration: Canada and the UK in a Comparative Perspective” DATE AND PLACE: 9-12 December 2014; Central European University, Budapest, HU
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Imiscoe 11th Annual Conference. TITLE: “Rights of Temporary Foreign Workers: Canada and the UK in a Comparative Perspective” DATE AND PLACE: 27-29 August 2014, Madrid, ES
- “Temporary Migration and Temporary Integration: The Case of Temporary Migrant Workers in the UK and Canada in a Comparative Perspective”. Awarded a Doctorate Degree in Political Science. Presented on December 16, 2015 at IMT School for Advanced Studies, Lucca, IT