Name: Stefano Piemontese
Host Institution: Center for Policy Studies, Central European University, Budapest
Profile: Stefano Piemontese is affiliated with the Center for Policy Studies as a Marie Curie Junior Research Fellow in the INTEGRIM Network. He is also a Ph.D. student at the Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology of the Autonomous University of Barcelona, and member of the EMIGRA research group. Stefano graduated in International Political Sciences at the University of Turin (Italy) with a thesis on Italian guest workers in Wolfsburg. After moving to Germany he obtained a Master’s degree in International Migration and Intercultural Relations at the University of Osnabrück (Germany) in 2011. His thesis focused on the access to housing of Romanian Roma in Granada (Spain), where he was previously involved as a researcher in a grassrootsgitano organization working with Roma migrants. In 2012 he moved to Barcelona and started collaborating with the EMIGRA research group of the Autonomous University of Barcelona, in research projects related to the policies for gitanos in Spain. In 2013, as member of the Taller ACSA (Taller de Antropología y Ciencias Sociales Aplicadas), Stefano coordinated the research activities of the REdHNET project, “Romani People, Educational and Housing Policies: Key Links to Share”, and was also researcher for the WE Project “Wor(l)ds which Exclude”, both co-financed by the European Commission. Stefano’s PhD research focuses on the intersections between the housing patterns and the educational careers of Romanian Roma youngsters living in Madrid, in the largest framework of the EU policies for education, housing, and Roma. His research also addresses the issue of local and transnational participation and social mobilization of Roma migrants, as well as the conceptual and practical challenges of the policies for Roma in Europe.
- MAGAZZINI, T., & PIEMONTESE, S. (2016). “Roma migration in the EU: the case of Spain between ‘new’ and ‘old’ minorities”. Migration Letters 13(2), pp. 228-241.
- PIEMONTESE, S. (2015). “Leaving ‘Roma’ behind. Notes on the impact of housing and (forced) mobility on education”. INTEGRIM Online Papers, No. 10/2015.
- MAGAZZINI, T., & PIEMONTESE, S. (2015), “Modèles de gestion de la diversité en Europe et migrations roms: le cas espagnol“. Confluences Méditerranée, Printemps (93), pp. 51–62.
- PIEMONTESE, S. & BELUSCHI FABENI, G. (2014), “Entre organización social y políticas públicas. Pautas residenciales de familias rumanas romaníes en Granada”, Sociologia – Revista de Faculdade de Letras de Universidade do Porto, Número temático 2014, Ciganos na Península Ibérica e Brasil: Estudos e Políticas Sociais, pp. 153-173.
- PIEMONTESE, S. (2017, forthcoming). “Movilidad europea, desalojos forzosos y desvinculación escolar del alumnado rumano sin hogar”. In: (Eds) Carrasco, S., Beremény, B-Á. Migrantes escolares. Movilidad del alumnado, estrategias familiares y crisis económica. Editorial Bellaterra.
- LÓPEZ LÓPEZ, J.D; PIEMONTESE; S.; BELUSCHI FABENI; G., BALLESTER I TORRENTS, M. (2014), WE: Wor(l)ds Which Exclude. National Report on Spain, Fondazione Giovanni Michelucci, Fiesole (Florence).
- BELUSCHI FABENI, G., LÓPEZ LÓPEZ, J.D, PIEMONTESE, S. (2014). “Between assimilation and heritagization. The linguistic construction of Gitanos in Spanish housing policies”, In PIASERE L., SOLIMANO N., TOSI CAMBRINI, S. Wor(l)ds which Exclude. The housing issue of Roma, Gypsies and Travellers in the language of the acts and the administrative documents in Europe, Fondazione Giovanni Michelucci, Fiesole (Florence).
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: International workshop “Intersecting Mobilities and Social Protection: Looking Out for a New Approach how to Do Research. TITLE: “Deviant squatters, moral squatters. Romanian “Roma” in the Spanish anti-eviction movement”. DATE AND PLACE: September 26-28, 2016. University of Salzburg, AT
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Presentation at the IMISCOE Annual Conference – Migration and Development. TITLE: “Dreams, aspirations, and educational expectations of transnational “Roma” youths between rural Romania and urban Spain”. DATE AND PLACE: June 30 – July 2, 2016. Department of Social Geography and Regional Development, Charles University, Prague, CZ
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Presentation at the conference Horizontok és Dialógusok II. TITLE: “The impact of urban and transnational mobility on the educational trajectories, achievements, and aspirations of “Roma” youths between rural Romania and urban Spain”. DATE AND PLACE: May 4 – 6, 2016. University of Pécs, Faculty of Arts, Educational Research Institute, Pécs, HU
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Workshop for researchers and practitioners. Protecting and including “new” and “old” minorities: opportunities, challenges, synergies. TITLE: “Cha(lle)nges in diversity management as a consequence of westward Roma migration in the EU: the case of Spain”. DATE AND PLACE: February 27, 2015. EURAC, Bolzano/Bozen, IT
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Bridging the gap between policy making and social research. Strengths and challenges of the policies for Gitanos/Roma in Spain. A workshop for scholars, policy makers, and NGOs. TITLE: “Some theoretical contribution on the dialogue between academia and policymaking”. DATE AND PLACE: October 17, 2014. Barcelona, ES
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: 2014 Gypsy Lore Society Annual Meeting TITLE: “Ethnicization of nomadism as a control to mobility regimes. An analysis of the Spanish Press” DATE AND PLACE: September 13, 2014. Bratislava, SK
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: First meeting with local experts of the ‘MigRom12. The Immigration of Romanian Roma to Western Europe: effects and future engagement strategies’. TITLE: “El acceso a la educación de los menores rumanos romá. Escolarización y educación obligatoria en Granada” DATE AND PLACE: March 14, 2014. Granada, ES
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Public policies for Roma inclusion in Romania and the inclusion of Roma migrants from Romania in Catalonia. TITLE: “Los ‘Gitanos del Este’ en el Plan Integral de Pueblo Gitano en Cataluña”. DATE AND PLACE: February 28, 2014. Barcelona, ES
Other scientific activities:
- ROLE: Chair and organization CONFERENCE/ EVENT: VIII Congreso sobre Migraciones Internacionales. TITLE: “The rule of law and the role of law. The practical and conceptual challenges of the policies for Roma raised by the phenomenon of Roma westward migration: between political local context and legal European dimension”. DATE AND PLACE: September 16-18, 2015. Universidad de Granada, Instituto de Migraciones, Granada, ES
- ROLE: Chair and organization CONFERENCE/ EVENT: VIII Congreso sobre Migraciones Internacionales. TITLE: [Chair and organization] “Roma westward migration ‘from the inside’. Addressing the ethno-anthropological research gap through the theories of migration”. DATE AND PLACE: September 16-18, 2015. Universidad de Granada, Instituto de Migraciones, Granada, ES
- ROLE: Chair CONFERENCE/EVENT: Workshop within the framework of the Annual Conference of the INTEGRIM Network. TITLE: [Chair] “Research Puzzles and Competing Approaches to Studying Roma Migration”. DATE AND PLACE: December 12, 2014. Central European University, Budapest, HU