Name: Karolina Nikielska-Sekula
Host Institution: Koç University ( MiReKoç)Profile: Karolina is a PhD Candidate at the Department of Culture and Humanities at Telemark University College in Norway and Marie Curie Early Stage Researcher within the framework of INTEGRIM network. Her host institution is the Migration Research Center at Koc University. Karolina is a sociologist graduate from AGH, University of Science and Technology in Krakow, Poland and a member of the International Sociological Association. In her MA thesis she analysed the femininity of nuns in Poland. As part of her Bachelor studies, she spent a semester at Yeditepe University in Istanbul where she wrote her BA thesis on religiosity of students in Turkey. This is when she unwittingly entered her migration path that continues to date. Her current research interests focus on cultural integration of immigrants in Europe, ethnicity, urban culture and visual sociology. She has collaborated with the Institute of Sociology at Jagiellonian University in Krakow researching transnational families in Norway. She has also conducted her own research on cultural integration in Norway. Currently she lives in Istanbul where she continues working on her PhD thesis dedicated to cultural heritage in everyday practices of Norwegian Turks.
- NIKIELSKA-SEKULA, K. (2016). “The Role of Cultural Heritage in the Development of the Sense of Belonging among Young Norwegian-Turks: Boundary Making and Crossing”, The Age of Human Rights Journal, No. 7, Special Issue Identity and Cultural Integration, ISSN: 2340-9592, pp.96-119.
- NIKIELSKA-SEKULA, K. (2016) “Children in Norwegian Immigration Policy”, Central and Eastern European Migration Review, Vol. 5, No.1.
- NIKIELSKA-SEKULA, K. (2016), “Meaning and Functions of Norwegian-Turkish Vernacular Space in Drammen, Norway”, Border Crossing 6 (2).
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Turkish Migration Conference. TITLE: “Meaning and Functions of Norwegian-Turkish Vernacular Space in Drammen, Norway” (Best Paper Prize – Runner-up). DATE and PLACE: 12-15 July 2016. Vienna, AT
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Third ISA Forum of Sociology. TITLE: “The Taste of “the stranger.” Performing Heritage in Language and Culture Festival in Norway”. DATE and PLACE: 10-14 July 2016, Vienna, AT
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: INTEGRIM Final Conference. TITLE: “Negotiations of belonging and home among young Norwegian Turks”. DATE and PLACE: 6-8 July 2016, Bilbao, ES
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: IVSA Annual Conference. TITLE: “From Norway to Turkey. Visualising Transnational Belonging”. DATE and PLACE: 22-24 June 2016. Lillehammer, NO
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: Minor Culture Conference. TITLE: “Turkish Vernacular Space in a Norwegian City”. DATE AND PLACE: 1-3 December 2015, Melbourne, AU
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT : Integrim Annual Conference. TITLE: “Towards the signs of Turkish ethnic identity in a mid-sized Norwegian city”. DATE AND PLACE: 18-20 November 2015, Koç University, Istanbul, TR
- CONFERENCE/ EVENT: MiReKoc Seminar Series. TITLE: “Mixing Cultural Practices During the Celebration of Norway`s Constitution Day”. DATE AND PLACE: 4 November 2015, Istanbul, TR